Navodaya Leadership Institute (N.L.I)
Navodaya Leadership Institutes have been established at Goa, Guntur (Andhra Pradesh), Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh), Chandighar (U.T.) and Ranga Reddy (Andhra Pradesh) for imparting in-service training and
professional growth of its staff.
TRAINING FOR QUALITY EDUCATION
1. Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti has been highlighting the issues related to quality education during the training programmes of different categories of Navodaya Vidyalaya staff. They are organized with the following objectives:
- Continuously upgrade the Vidyalayas and the level of motivation of the teachers through training.
- Dissemination of Samiti�s Policies, programmes and initiatives for better awareness.
- A continuous upgradation of the skill of teaching and non-teaching staff - at least once in 5 years.
- Well structured induction programmes for new recruits.
- Content enrichment for poor performing teachers.
- Improving English language teaching abilities and setting up language labs.
- Collaboration with specialized external agencies for sharing of resources and capacity building.
- Training Plan.
- Training in specialized areas to equip the employees to handle their duties efficiently.
- Counseling, Yoga, Value Education.
- Leadership Qualities.
- Safety and Security.
- Financial Management
- Gender Harassment.
- Motivation, interpersonnel relationship and team building.
- Preparation of database of all teachers with reference to training needs and trainings undergone for designing a long term plan.
In all training courses, the following activities will be compulsory:-
- a) Yoga practice on optional basis through a yoga expert to be engaged on course-to-course basis (not regular employee).
- b) Value education mainly based on a brief statement of the theme and possible ways of imparting such education in schools by using daily life experience and promoting maximum interaction among the trainees.
- c) Computer Literacy.
2. Samiti has set up its own five teachers training institutes under the name of Navodaya Leadership Institute at Chandigarh, Ghaziabad, Goa, Guntur & Ranga Reddy by using already available infrastructure facilities. These training institutes are doing commendable work and providing continuous training to the teachers of Navodaya Vidyalayas and set up with the following objectives:-
- a) To identify training needs of Navodaya Vidyalaya teachers and accordingly plan and organize various types of in-service courses for them.
- b) To develop curricular enrichment material for in-service courses as well as for reinforcing actual class room teaching.
- c) To develop effective low cost teaching aids and acquaint teachers with the use of latest educational technology.
- d) To encourage and coordinate innovative practices, action research, experimentation, survey project etc. in the areas of Navodaya Vidyalaya System.
- e) To evaluate practices and procedures of Navodaya Vidyalaya System and suggest steps for further improvement.
- f) To act as nodal center for dissemination of value based education in Navodaya Vidyalayas.
- g) To maintain an appropriate database for the JNVs of the region which may be required for institutional planning for Vidyalayas and institutional evaluation.
- h) Act as a clearing house for information on results of all studies research, innovation, etc. in the area of school education wherever undertaken and to develop tests, question banks, rating scales, guidelines for diagnostic testing/remedial programmes, talent identification procedures etc.
3. Structure of Navodaya Leadership Institutes
Each Navodaya Leadership Institute is having the following units:-
- a) In-service Training Unit.
- b) Research and Study Unit.
- c) Computer Literacy Unit.
- d) Administration & Finance Unit.
- These units will have their own specified functions but will work in close co-ordination with each other.
- Each NLI will be headed by Assistant Commissioner/Principal/Vice Principal and will be responsible for over all supervision of the institute and act as Incharge of all four units within the center besides acting as Course Co-Coordinator and a resource person in his own discipline.
4. Training Activities
The training programmes being organized in Navodaya Leadership Institutes are:
- Inducting them into the system.
- Apprising them of various components of the system.
- Developing their knowledge, skills and attitude.
- Exposing them to the smooth functioning of the system.
- Motivating them to become efficient and effective.
- Professional development.
- Content enrichment improving teaching and enhancing learning.
- Development of knowledge, skills and attitude.
- Improving subject competency & updating knowledge.
- Developing teaching skills.
- Clearance of concepts and doubts.
- Enhance learning.
- Preparation of modules, capsules and packages.
In-service training courses for all the teachers are being organized by drawing resources from within and outside NVS system for promotion of professional growth both in terms of content and methodology. All teachers have to undergo at least one 21 day in-service course in every five years not only to get eligibility to be granted senior or selection scales but also to maintain the pace setting activities of NVS. Apart from these, long duration (21 days) in-service training courses, short duration induction, orientation courses seminars, workshops etc. also are organized as a part of teachers training programme every year. Samiti is also seeking assistance of external agencies like NCERT, IIM, CIEFL, ISTM, NIMHANS, Kaivalyadham, Rama Krishna Mission etc. for providing training to Principals and teachers in specialized areas.